SDG #8: Pernod Ricard's initiative with Positive Planet in Armenia11/08/2016
Pernod Ricard believes that the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a unique opportunity for all stakeholders (Governments, the civil society, the academic and scientific community and the private sector) to conduct all of their efforts into the same direction in order to make the world a better place.
Pernod Ricard is convinced that everyone has a role to play towards these Goals for 2030. Although it takes multiple actions contributing to all 17 SDGs, Pernod Ricard selected 12 where its impacts are or can be the greatest, thanks to the business indicators developed by the United Nations Global Compact, the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD).
Even though, the SDGs were launched in September 2015, Pernod Ricard has committed for a long time to sustainable development and can already report significant progress towards meeting Sustainable Development Goals.
Goal #8 : Decent work and economic growth
Our mission: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
By teaming up with Positive Planet, we are working to develop sustainable cooperatives in Armenia with the objective to help local farmers increase their harvest and thus their income. It’s all part of the "UN Global Goals" we actively support.
“ By teaming up with Positive Planet, we hope to help a growing number of local farmers increase their harvest and income through sustainable cooperatives”
- David Derrey, Head of QSE & Grape Purchase
FOCUS ON STRENGHTEING COOPERATIVES IN TAVUSH REGION
1. Investment in equipment (Oct 2016 –March 2017):
- 5 or 6 Cultivators to be purchased in 2016 to complete set of equipment for 6 existing cooperatives
- Purchase of 2 mulchers for the cooperatives in Aygehovit and Varagavan and exchange of results with other cooperatives after 2017 harvest
- Purchase of a full set of equipment for cooperative in Chinari (irrigation support by UNDP to be offered in 2017 –to be confirmed in Nov 2016)
- Intensify training on usage of equipment and maintenance
2. Strengthening existing cooperatives in terms of members (Oct 2016 – March 2017):
Cooperatives are in general well established, members appreciate benefits related to it and show a high willingness to further strengthen their cooperative (members, equipment)
3. Expansion by creation of at least 2 further cooperatives (Jan 2017 –Dec 2017) in Chinary and Verin Karmir Aghbyur.
Learn more about the UN Global Goals