HomeCSR|Protect our planet|Minimising the impact of business on the climate

CSR

Corporate Social Responsibility is a major focus in Pernod Ricard's constant quest for improvement. The Group has risen to the challenge of reconciling financial efficiency, respect for stakeholders, environmental protection, consumer protection and cultural awareness.

Minimising the impact of business on the climate

Faced with the problem of CO2 emissions, to which its business adds, Pernod Ricard has undertaken to measure its greenhouse gas emissions all along its production chain. To reduce its operations’ impact on the climate, action plans have been implemented at all manufacturing plants and in the design of packaging and marketing.

Minimising the impact of business on the climate

 

MEASURING ITS CARBON FOOTPRINT

In 2011, 90% of manufacturing plants had measured their own carbon footprint using a special calculation model developed for the Group.  This study confirmed the important role of bought packaging (glass, cardboard) and commodities (grain, wines, spirits, grapes, etc.), which each account for around a third of total emissions.
The results have been used to determine priority action to be taken and possibilities for improvement:
  • Optimising energy consumption at manufacturing plants,
  • Eco-designing products
  • Optimising logistics and transport,
  • Partnerships with suppliers.

 

SHARP FALL IN CO2 EMISSIONS AT MANUFACTURING PLANTS

In 2013, direct (fossil fuels) and indirect (bought electricity) emissions from the Group’s manufacturing plants continued to fall, dropping from 352,060 to 335,456 tonnes  of CO2 equivalent.
These figures reward efforts to improve the energy efficiency of sites, such as the hard work by Chivas Brothers, Irish Distillers, The Absolut Company, Pernod and Martell.
 
 
They also reflect the higher percentage of electricity derived from manufacturing plants' purchases of renewable energy.

 

ECO-DESIGN OF PRODUCTS

Software to measure the CO2 impact of packaging is used by the main brands.
This programme helps with decision-making when designing packaging.
 

 

OPTIMISING LOGISTICS AND TRANSPORT

Pernod Ricard Group’s logistics teams have long been incorporated the sustainable development concept into their transport and storage approach.

They work at various levels:
  • type of transport: 80% of transport is by sea, which is particularly energy efficient (responsible for only a quarter of greenhouse gas emissions from logistics activities). The remaining 20% are optimised with accurate planning of loads and routes.



In the United States, where land transport is common, Pernod Ricard belongs to the Smart Way Transport Partnership, which seeks to tangibly reduce the carbon footprint from transport.
optimisation of loads: the size and format of containers are standardised to help with loading of vehicles. Sharing is another option to increase lorry load ratios.

planning: this helps to establish a more stable production schedule over a longer-term horizon, thereby optimising transport flows.
 

 

Good practice: Jacob’s Creek reduces its carbon footprint


In Australia, a slight change to the dimensions of the Jacob’s Creek bottle (from 540g to 360/380g) helped optimise pallets loads and therefore volumes to be transported.
And by reducing the weight of each bottle, larger containers are now used for long-distance shipping (40 feet, versus 20 beforehand).
Outcome: a reduction of 15,000 tonnes of CO2/ year.

Find out more about the Jacob’s Creek’s environmental policy on the website

 

WORK IN PARTNERSHIP WITH SUPPLIERS

The Group is trying to encourage its main suppliers to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions through the design of their products, and work towards reducing product losses all along the chain.