To mark European Waste Reduction Week, Pernod Ricard confirms its commitment to the UN’s Goal n° 12 regarding Sustainable Development: “Responsible Consumption and Production”11/21/2016
Press release - Paris, 21 November 2016
To mark European Waste Reduction Week, Pernod Ricard confirms its commitment to the UN’s Goal n° 12 regarding Sustainable Development: “Responsible Consumption and Production”.
An ambition: to approach 100% recyclable packaging by 2020
Pernod Ricard’s Environmental Policy covers all the Group’s activities and value chain, from supply and production through to the end of life of the product. The Environmental Roadmap 2020, initiated in 2010 and its second phase which was presented at the Shareholders’ Meeting of 17 November 2016, details the Group’s priority areas and target figures in terms of the environment. It is based on 5 priorities: reduction of our CO2 emissions and of our water consumption, certification of our vineyards and of all our production sites and the management of resources, which includes the management of waste.
To reduce its environmental footprint, the Group implements the principles of eco-design adopted in 2006, namely:
- assessment of the environmental footprint of products,
- choice of sustainable and recyclable packaging materials,
- optimisation of amount of material used (glass, cardboard, plastic),
- participation in collection systems for used packaging to support recycling.
Approach 100% recyclable packaging by 2020
Pernod Ricard aims to identify all non-recyclable packaging still in use, and to work on alternative solutions in order to approach the goal of 100% recyclable consumer packaging in 2020.
Participation in packaging collection to support recycling
Collected and recycled since the 1970s, the recycle of this material tends to plateau.
- In Europe, 73% of the glass collected is recycled*, to note that glass can be fully recycled several times without any loss in quality. Pernod Ricard actively supports collection and recycling schemes for different materials including glass, in France and in Europe, thanks to its contribution made tangible by the famous green dot symbol. This initiative helps to increase the availability of waste glass in Europe to feed the glass furnaces.
- In the United States, only 34% of glass is recycled. Pernod Ricard USA has just become a member of the Glass Recycling Coalition (http://www.glassrecycles.org), an American organisation bringing together those involved in the chain – the glass producers, bottlers, providers of recycling services and manufacturers from the agri-food industry, in order to promote effective and financially viable recycling channels, to encourage the adoption of new sorting habits and thereby to actively help to reduce waste.
* Source – European Federation for Glass Packaging – 2013
About Pernod Ricard
Pernod Ricard is the world’s n°2 in wines and spirits with consolidated Sales of € 8,682 million in 2015/16. Created in 1975 by the merger of Ricard and Pernod, the Group has undergone sustained development, based on both organic growth and acquisitions: Seagram (2001), Allied Domecq (2005) and Vin&Sprit (2008). Pernod Ricard holds one of the most prestigious brand portfolios in the sector: Absolut Vodka, Ricard pastis, Ballantine’s, Chivas Regal, Royal Salute and The Glenlivet Scotch whiskies, Jameson Irish whiskey, Martell cognac, Havana Club rum, Beefeater gin, Kahlúa and Malibu liqueurs, Mumm and Perrier- Jouët champagnes, as well Jacob’s Creek, Brancott Estate, Campo Viejo, Graffigna and Kenwood wines. Pernod Ricard employs a workforce of approximately 18,500 people and operates through a decentralised organisation, with 6 “Brand Companies” and 85 “Market Companies” established in each key market. Pernod Ricard is strongly committed to a sustainable development policy and encourages responsible consumption. Pernod Ricard’s strategy and ambition are based on 3 key values that guide its expansion: entrepreneurial spirit, mutual trust and a strong sense of ethics. Pernod Ricard is listed on Euronext (Ticker: RI; ISIN code: FR0000120693) and is part of the CAC 40 index.
Contacts Pernod Ricard
Julia MASSIES / VP, Financial Communication & Investor Relations
Tel: +33 (0)1 41 00 41 07
Adam RAMJEAN / Investor Relations Manager
Tel: +33 (0)1 41 00 42 14
Sylvie MACHENAUD / Director External Communications
Tel: +33 (0)1 41 00 42 74
Emmanuel VOUIN / Press Relations Manager
Tel: +33 (0)1 41 00 44 04
Apolline CELEYRON / Press Relations Officer
Tel: +33 (0)1 41 00 40 97