The 5 industry Commitments
Together with the industry’s leading producers from around the world, Pernod Ricard strongly supports new measures to promote responsible drinking.
A new step in the coooperation with the industry
In October 2012, at the ICAP (The International Center For Alcohol Policies) Conference, Pierre Pringuet, Pernod Ricard Vice-Chairman and CEO, announced on behalf of the world’s leading producers of beer, wine and spirits 5 commitments to further reduce the harmful use of alcohol:
- Reduce underage drinking
- Strengthen and expand marketing codes of pratice
- Provide consumer information and responsible product innovation
- Reduce drinking and driving
- Enlist the support of retailers to reduce harmful drinking
The commitments build on the signatory companies’ longstanding efforts to discourage harmful drinking through initiatives and partnerships around the world, especially in low- and middle-income countries.
They will be implemented over a period of five years and will be reviewed annually by an independent third party.
“As the CEOs of our global companies, we want to have a role in working to limit harmful drinking and intend to implement these commitments with the same passion and professionalism that we invest in all of our other business activities and goals”
Pierre Pringuet - Vice-Chairman of the Board
Developing Concrete Action
To achieve the 5 industry Commitments, dedicated actions will be implemented:
- Reducing under-age drinking
- By seeking enforcement and or introduction of legal purchase age
- By developing, promoting and disseminating educational materials and programs
- Strengthening and expanding marketing codes of practice
- By reducing underage exposure whether through traditional media or digital.
- By developing global guiding principles in digital media
- By inviting non-industry representatives in self-regulatory processes.
- By including appropriate contractual language in our agreements with our advertising agencies
- Providing consumer information and responsible product innovation
- By not distributing products that contain excessive amounts of added stimulants
- By including symbols or words on our labels to discourage (1) drinking and driving (2) consumption by those under-age and (3) consumption by pregnant women as well as creating a dedicated website with additional information
- Reducing drinking and driving
- By continuing to develop global actions
- Enlisting the support of retailers to reduce harmful drinking
- By developing guiding principles and initiatives of responsible beverage alcohol retailing
Rallying all employees around the 5 industry Commitments
On June 5th 2013, Pernod Ricard celebrated its 3rd edition of Responsib’All Day. Launched in 2011, "Responsib’All Day" seeks to encourage the sharing of good practices and the implementation of concrete initiatives by rallying all Pernod Ricard staff, during one day, around responsible drinking.
The 3rd edition of Responsib’All Day was dedicated to the 5 industry commitments in order to reinforce their implementation. All affiliates and all employees were invited to undertake concrete actions to raise their main partners and consumers’ awareness.